Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Short Luteal Phase

While I had a moment, I wanted to post about the issue I've encountered. I've been charting for a few months, on fertilityfriend.com. It's the same site I used to chart when I was trying to conceive Monkey. This time, however, I've been notice my luteal phase is shorter than the 10 day minimum. It could be an error, or just a fluke, but for 2 months my LP was only 6 and 8 days. With an LP that short the egg does not have time to implant. Here is a little more detailed explanation, for anyone interested. This information is from http://www.ovusoft.com/.
The luteal phase is the time from ovulation to the next period. It is typically 10-16 days in length, but it is usually fairly consistent in length for an individual woman, differing by no more than 1 or 2 days from cycle to cycle. During this time the corpus luteum secretes progesterone while attached to the ovarian wall. Progesterone is what maintains the thickness of the endometrium to support implantation by a fertilized egg. If implantation does not occur, the corpus luteum runs out of progesterone and menstruation soon follows. If implantation does occur, the implanted zygote secretes hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), a chemical signal which tells the corpus luteum to continue producing and secreting progesterone.
Luteal phase lengths of less than 10 days are considered too short for implantation to occur, and may thus indicate a problem with successfully achieving pregnancy. In such an instance, the egg may be fertilized, but the endometrium is sloughed off before implantation can occur. This condition is sometimes referred to as a luteal phase defect. If you suspect you have a short luteal phase, you should see your healthcare professional about it. Short luteal phases may be corrected with progesterone treatment
.
One treatment for LP defect is B6. So starting on CD1 I've been taking b6 (I actually started about a week before that). I'm really hoping it will correct this issue, and extra B6 really can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Weight Loss Journey!

My Boys!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers